Powered By Blogger

Saturday, October 9, 2010

Healthy on the Inside

So... after going out to eat at a steakhouse and ordering a salad (good job, me!),  I came home feeling pretty solid and positive about my eating choices for the evening.  After my own little personal success, I sat down to read a great article from Venus Diva Magazine.  In this article, the author receives bad news from the doctor and decides to take ownership of her health because of it. She realizes that her health isn't something she can take for granted.  I encourage you to read the article at:
http://dailyvenusdiva.com/2010/10/its-time-to-talk-about-the-big-o-and-the-big-d/
I'm so glad to see that there are other ladies out there supporting the same cause I support with all my heart - living healthy at any size!  ...Loving yourself enough to take good responsibility to ensure you'll be around for years to come.  What could be more important? 
Gaining and losing weight are hard on the body, and so is eating lots of sugary, processed foods.  Getting healthy doesn't have to be focused on "getting skinny" or fitting into those stupid "skinny jeans" you read about when celebrities pop out a baby or two, and then brag about fitting back into the elusive "skinny jeans" two weeks later.  or whatever.  The motivation should be on health, strength, functionality, longevity... not "skinny jeans".  Bleh.  I know, it's a style.  My students wear them :)  but don't you feel irritated when you hear celebrities talk about them?  As if most of them have any other kind of jeans?  I doubt it!

But I digress... Let's talk about your weekly goals for overall healthy living and fitness. 
Here are mine to get you started:
Walk the doggies 4X
Abs 4X - 100 bicycle crunches
Do 250 lunges between now and Thursday
Lift weights on Thursday with the basketball team

And after that, I'm not sure.  I'm still fighting my ear infection, so if it keeps hanging around, I may have to adjust a bit.  I can't believe how long it's been bothering me.  Booooo!  On one hand, I can't hear out of my right ear very well.  But on the up-side, I can't hear out of my right ear very well!  This can be a plus in the classroom when I turn my (semi) deaf ear to the children's irritating back talk!  haha.  I can hear the students yelling at whomever is trying to complain to me, "Hey!  She can't hear you, stupid!"  And I smile a little smile... 12th graders can be so fun sometimes.

How are your goals coming along?  You can't reach 'um if you don't make 'um.  Maybe your goal has to do with eating 5 servings of greens a day (harder), or cutting down on your soda intake(easier). Those are great goals, too!  Perhaps you want to add 10 minutes to your daily walk, or try walking just 10 minutes a day to get started.  Whatever you do, keep it manageable and measurable.  Give yourself a schedule, checklist, something to stay accountable.  This blog helps me be accountable to myself and you, whomever you may be!  If I've said it, or written it, I feel more compelled to follow through.  So I encourage you to do the same, write down your goals and you'll be more likely to take care of business...
So that's it for tonight, off to finish the laundry and go to bed :)

XOXO
Andrea

2 comments:

  1. I like your work out goals for the week!

    Accountability is the reason that I blog also! I love listing my goals for the week on Sundays and then blogging about what I have accomplished as the week goes on :)

    Have a great week!

    ReplyDelete