Powered By Blogger

Tuesday, October 12, 2010

Add WEIGHTS to your workout

After a week of being sick and lame, I've decided to ignore my still slightly sore ear infection and move on!  A little more sleep may be needed, but most of last weekend I laid around resting and being bored.  It doesn't suit me, and now my back is sore.  So that's it!  I've decided: no more sickness for me.  I just hope my body is listening :) 
Monday's Workout:
A few drills with the girls at b.ball practice
50 lunges
brisk 35 min. walk (2+ miles)
20 plies with 10# in each hand (plee-ays if you're not familiar with ballet)
3 sets of 10 curls on each arm (biceps)
3 sets of 10 overhead press (shoulders)
3 sets of 10 triceps extensions
Stretching....
Here's the key ladies, your PACING.  I alternate exercises with NO REST between sets.  Your heart rate will be through the roof and you'll burn so many more calories.
I combined curls with the overhead press, for a total of 6 sets, alternating between exercises
Lunges were alternating legs, 2 sets of 25
I alternated the plies with the triceps extension, which by the way I used ONE 10# weight and held it with both hands.

WHY you may ask, are my weights so LOW?  I've been off for a week, I feel borderline well from my ear infection, and I haven't done much upper body work in the past 3 weeks because of back pain.  SO although I know I could push it, I'm easing in gently.
Last night my back seized up a bit, so I iced in bed, laid on my towel roll (more about that later) and felt 10X better today.  I have to be more consistent with my weights or my back will never forgive me.  The farther you fall out of shape, the harder it is to get back... so don't let it slide!  I'm struggling with that right now.

Eat your pizza!
Today I didn't do any exercise at all.  Not a thing!  Worked all day, quick 30 min nap, then back to school for parent/teacher conferences.  Home at 8pm.  Cleaning the house, feeding the dogs, etc. etc.  The great thing is that I can relax and be ok about taking the day off from exercise.  I no longer feel compelled to get out and run around the neighborhood in the dark, just so I don't miss ONE workout!  Thank goodness for that :)  I hope you feel the same freedom to be well and balanced.
Work out hard and eat well,
XOXO
Andrea

1 comment: