Powered By Blogger

Thursday, September 30, 2010

It's Too HARD to Exercise (Joints, Backs, Fibromyalgia)

Welcome Back Workout Warriors!

     I want to talk about EXCUSES today.  Reasons, we may call them... not to exercise.  Throughout my years of coaching, teaching a group fitness class now and then, and the occasional personal training session, I have heard every creative excuse in the book.
     However, PAIN is a pretty strong deterrent from exercise.  When I was in college, my chiropractor told me I had fibromyalgia, based on all the symptoms.  If you know what that is, you understand it's hard to diagnose, harder to treat, and almost impossible to explain.  My extreme workouts seemed to keep it at bay, interestingly, but if I became over-tired, ill, or PMS symptoms appeared, so did the pain.
     It's easy to ignore it when you're young, and despite the so-called "diagnosis", nothing changed for me.  I had always had some body soreness and it seemed normal.  After college, and especially in grad school, I noticed it creeping back in.  Sometimes I couldn't even stand the feeling of a bra strap on my shoulder because it hit a pressure point and caused so much pain.

Tanya and I on a girl's night out :)

     I have a new chiropractor, and she has decided that fibromyalgia is a fad, and I'm just sensitive.  At first I was irritated, and frankly a little offended by the secondary diagnosis, but eventually it gave me a new perspective on things.  My body is sensitive.  I need sleep, I need quality food, and I need moderate, regular exercise, stretching and therapy.  I need to forgive myself when things hurt and I can't be active, and I need to skip the intense workouts when I'm not feeling great.  It's a RELIEF!  Who cares if I have a label?  I'm not trying to wear some "fibromyalgia" badge around.  I'd rather NOT have the label and just work on taking care of myself
   So, if you feel achy, sore, or in PAIN, know that you need your workouts, but not if they are aggravating an underlying issue.  Working through moderate pain, especially with a chronic problem, is often necessary.  I know that I must stay in shape and work through a certain amount of discomfort NOW or I will be in a great amount of pain LATER.  But I'd rather take the middle road and keep myself functional than go all out and be sidelined for the next week.  So be responsible to gauge your own discomfort levels, make sure you've talked with your doctor, and move forward with determination and courage each day.  Don't let anything stop YOU from setting goals and being successful!

Word of the Day:  MODERATION! 

Much love XOXO
Andrea

No comments:

Post a Comment