Powered By Blogger

Tuesday, November 16, 2010

If it's worth having, it's worth working for...

I was reminded of this truth today while running basketball practice.  I have a group of young, inexperienced players who have never played disciplined basketball.  They were frustrated and impatient, wondering when the boring stuff would end and the fun would begin...

What they don't know yet, is that the end result is worth the work.


Sometimes I feel I may come across harsh, or abrupt, both in basketball practice and my daily life.  Even here, where readers may think, "She doesn't know how I feel, she's never been where I am now".  And it may be true.

But I make no apologies.  I know what it feels like to work hard for something I want, I know what it feels like to be lazy and wish later that I had given it my all.  I know what it feels like to have regrets.

I know what it feels like to lose a loved one far too early to disease, and I care about myself, and about YOU, reader... hoping that you care enough about yourself to DO something to change your life for the better.  Writing about it helps ME to do those things, too.

Have you found yourself thinking any of these thoughts?
"I already weigh (blank) number of pounds.  Another ten doesn't matter"
" I haven't exercised in (blank) days/months/years.  Who cares about today?"
" I can start later, I'm busy today"
" Nobody will even notice if I lose weight.  I'm a lost cause."
"I was born this way, I'm big boned."

Truly, we are all born with our genes and chromosomes, passed down from generations.  What we do with those... That's up to us.  Does it matter if you gain another 10 pounds?  If you decide to exercise today?  If you choose that salad instead of fries? 
Of course it does! 

Just ask your heart, as it pumps blood throughout your body.
Ask your knees, ask your back, ask your loved ones who need you to be there for them in the years to come. 
IT MATTERS

This isn't an issue of vanity, it's the story of your life... 
How long and well do you want to live?
Are you proud of the choices you're making today? 
Are you happy with who you are becoming?

Striving to be skinny just isn't cool anymore (thankfully!). You DO have the body you've got.  Now you have to take responsibility to get the most life and joy and adventure out of it as you can.  If you're making good choices in life, it makes sense that you'll create a life you're proud of.  Whether it's work, school, relationships, your body, your kids, sports, arts, whatever...

if it's gonna be good, it's gonna take work 

It took 9 months of hard work for your momma to make you, and whole lot more work to push you out :)  My mom never lets me forget that!  Nothing amazing, nothing worth having, comes without a fight.
 If it's worth it, you'll work for it. 

Much love,
XOXO
Andrea

No comments:

Post a Comment