Powered By Blogger

Thursday, June 30, 2011

Eating Cheap, Eating Smart, DIY Refried Beans and Acupuncture

Have you ever looked at the sodium content in refried beans???  Well, I have, and I can't eat 'em, but I miss my mexican food!
Here's something I came up with recently...

1 bag of pinto beans
Soak in water overnight
Cook the next day in a pot, simmer with a lid for about 2 hrs
If you can tolerate salt, add to taste
BOMB salsa... of all place, WALMART?!?!

I can't tolerate the sodium, and at first I was super disappointed in the bland taste but I added some other fab ingredients and spiced it right up!
Refried Beans

Heat the beans in a pot.  Add a couple big scoops of sour cream and some low sodium salsa to taste.
YUM!  So serious. Even my family who can eat "normal food" likes this dip!  I eat it with no-salt tortilla chips from Henry's.  I WISH we had Trader Joe's out here.  Anybody listening?  I think it's time to start a petition.

Another tip: Salt-free Kettle Chips with your own seasonings added in.  How nice is it to know you aren't eating all those chemicals and weird ingredients?!  I like to know what I'm eating... being able to read the ingredients is a plus!
My fave seasoning right now: Mrs. Dash Fiesta Lime


Now I'm last minute planning for my trip to Cabo.  I'm a lil nervous about eating away from home because of my sodium limitations, so I'm packing a suitcase of food.  No joke :)  My hubby can eat all kinds of anything he wants, so he gets some ramen noodles, mac and cheese and chips for snacks.  Plus tons of bottled water!  I'm not spending $14 a bottle, I'll tell you right now!  I also found brown rice in microwavable containers for me, granola bars, almonds, cashews, cereal, microwave popcorn, and noodles.  Yay!  Still looking forward to some nice dinners out, but not every meal.  Gotta keep the sodium intake in check


Have any of you tried acupuncture?  I just did today!  My Meniere's/vertigo issues have been on high alert this summer.  I'm pretty sure the heat is ruining me.  Since the last two days I've been about 50% functional with a couple dizzy driving scares, enough is enough!  I went to the acupuncturist today!  Exciting!  It was a bit uncomfortable at first, but then I ended up falling asleep on the table :)  
When I come back from Cabo I'm going to be back every other day for awhile.  Fingers crossed it solves some of my issues! 


Cheers my summer friends :)  Take a nice long walk, cook something healthy, and relax on your porch with a glass of wine.  Ahhhhh... summer

XOXO
Andrea

No comments:

Post a Comment