Powered By Blogger

Saturday, December 18, 2010

Navigating the Holidays :)

Hi people!  It's been awhile since I've posted and lots has happened.  I've been working on my Meniere's diet, which includes no caffeine (ok, decaf coffee for now) and aiming for around 1000 mg of sodium a day.  Did you know one HALF CUP of Campbell's chicken noodle soup has around 900 mg of sodium?!  Whoa.  Crazy.  It's super hard, but I've lost a bit of weight and am trying to keep on track with it because I can see big improvements already.
Also, BASKETBALL season is going strong.  We just finished a tournament (2nd place trophy) and I'm really ready for some rest. Being a teacher, I get a bit of rest, and even though we have basketball practice, I'll still be s- l-e-e-p-i-n-g as much as possible.  My meds include a diuretic/blood pressure medicine which is a trip because I've always had borderline low blood pressure.  I have to remember to stand up slowly, dammm!  Had a couple close calls, yo.  I'm not trying to pass out in front of my students!

My goal is to get back to my workouts.  Yes, I'm losing weight.  Yes, my clothes are loose... but after running some lines and doing down-ups on Wednesday with my team, I can tell you my fitness is slipping.  I already knew this, but it was reinforced this week: being thinner is NOT my goal in life.  I don't feel great about being a bit smaller, but far less fit.  I'm relieved that my hard fought lessons are still with me :)  I am glad that I care more about being FIT!  


So, holiday eating.  Hmmm.  Everybody has a tip about eating protein before a party, sipping water, keeping your hands busy blah blah blah.  Yes, eat something beforehand.  It's like going to Costco hungry; next thing you know you're double fisting kosher dogs and still asking the sample ladies for seconds.  So yeah, eat something ahead of time.  Other than that, my biggest tips are these:
  1. Don't drink your calories!  Wine, vodka soda, or a nice beer here and there and you're good.  Sugary drinks will make you feel like hell and leave you starving.
  2. Pick your FAVORITES and eat them.  Leave the rest alone.  You're an adult.  You've probably had wiener wraps, cheese plates and/or jello molds a time or two in your life.  and you already know if you like them.  You don't have to try them again "just in case"
  3. Throw it away if you don't like it.  Yup, waste that food, go 'head and do it.
  4. Have FUN!  If you overdo it, well, then just pick yourself up again tomorrow and eat some greens.  You'll be on to the next party before ya know it, so you'll never feel like you're missing out :)
One more thing: the holidays can be a time for love and warm fuzzies, or a time to dredge out painful/awkward/difficult memories.  Either way, don't run to your fridge to celebrate/mope or quit exercising all together.  Spend as much time as you can with the ones you love... and who love you back!

Merry Christmas, Feliz Navidad and Happy Hanukkah :)
XOXO
Andrea

No comments:

Post a Comment